ADSM-L

Re: Node Names for Unix Clients

1995-05-19 04:41:10
Subject: Re: Node Names for Unix Clients
From: Francis Dequenne <syf AT ECMWF DOT INT>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 09:41:10 +0100
Hi there.

We made some experiments on roughly the same lines, last year. One thing that
you might want to try is to start dsmc with the next parameters:

dsmc schedule -nodename=anyname -password=xyz

In the doc that we had at the time, the -nodename was not documented. I am not
sure whether it is these days.

This trick gave us -limited- hapyness. It certainly allowed us to start dsmc
with different nodenames on the same machine, or have it use the same name on
different machine.

Now, we wanted to use this to allow a user to move from one Workstation client
to another, (or run scripts on several platforms) and be able to see his ADSM
files wherever he was, without having to bother about hostnames. The idea was
to allow him to use his userid as a nodename. The problem that we could not
address then was that the password that he had to use for starting DSMC had no
connection what so ever with the password stored into NIS (yet another password
to remember)...

Hope this helps.

--
Regards
Regards

!!!!!!!  >>>>>>  ECMWF has a new internet address: ecmwf.int   <<<<<<  !!!!!!!

| Francis Dequenne  | Systems Section                  |      /~~\  /~~\     |
| ECMWF             | e-mail: fdequenne AT ecmwf DOT int      |     /    \/
\    |
| Shinfield Park    | Tel:    (+44 1734) 499361        |   ECMWF             |
| Reading           | Fax:    (+44 1734) 869450        |   ECMWF             |
| Berkshire RG2 9AX | Telex:  (+44 1734) 847908        |     \    /\    /    |
| United Kingdom    |                                  |      \__/  \__/     |