ADSM-L

3390-2 to 3390-3 migration

1995-05-18 19:07:03
Subject: 3390-2 to 3390-3 migration
From: Jim White <JWWHITE AT SRP DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 16:07:03 MST
From:  Jim White  x5157  ISB661
       IS/Distributed Computing
       Hrs 6:30-5:00 Tue-Fri
We will be moving from 3390-2 to 3390-3 volumes (a "floor sweep")
on our MVS system, which will affect our ADSM MVS server.  I know I
could use ADSM commands to move the database and disk storage pools
(ie extend db/move data/reduce db/del db, etc) but is this really
necessary?  Since this is not a geometry change (merely a capacity
change), won't DFDSS disk to disk copies of the volumes achieve
the same means plus allow me to keep the same dataset names?  (ADSM
server downtime *is not* a factor in this equation).  I am thinking
I can come back later and add extents if I need them that will
use the additional capacity of the mod 3's (if someone else doesn't
grab the space first!).  Would appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks,

Jim White
Salt River Project
Phoenix, Az