ADSM-L

Re: Macintosh format feedback...

1995-05-18 14:45:26
Subject: Re: Macintosh format feedback...
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 14:45:26 EDT
Hi Brett,

While you are considering documentation options, we would find the following
things to be very useful features:

Documentation via WWW
  Either provided via an IBM WWW server, or in a convenient format that
  a user site could put the files up on their own local WWW server.
  We are looking at Acrobat as a way to provide this kind of documentation
  for other products and services on our campus, but other options are
  also available.  One big advantage of using WWW for documentation is
  that WWW readers are already available for most of the platforms that
  ADSM supports (I'm not sure about NetWare).

Postscript source for your manuals, available on the FTP server.
  This has been asked for by others.  I don't understand why these are
  available via CompuServ, but not via FTP.  We are willing to sign any
  forms/letters required to allow us to re-print these manuals (and have
  obtained proper permission in the past to do so).

Customizable documentation
  In particular, the way we distribute the client software makes the
  Installation chapter in the ADSM manuals superfluous.  The IBM UG's
  all document how to install ADSM from media.  We do not want to be
  in the media-reproduction business, so we distribute via file servers,
  and we have our own documentation for our users to do this.  We also
  document our default policies/mgmt classes to our users in this way.
  We would prefer to mesh this with your UG's, if possible.  In order
  to do this, we need the ability to customize your Docs, to some
  extent.  The big thing is the installation chapter.  If that were moved
  out of the standard Users Guide, that would help us out.

Regards,
..Paul