ADSM-L

DOS/Windows restore & rescuse disks.

1995-05-15 14:04:35
Subject: DOS/Windows restore & rescuse disks.
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 13:04:35 EST
Please note - this is a long document.

There were several requests for copies of the rescue disk directory listings
that we have developed, so I am putting them out for all to see.  The base for
these disks was the DOS client of ADSM, and IBM's TCP/IP for DOS.  I
appologize for any loss of formatting in the listings as I was copying them
over.

This process probably qualifies as being "green" in that it does not leave
anything on your hard disk that wasn't there to start with, and it doesn't use
any of the hard drive for it's own work.

I will post a second note in a day or so that does the same for OS/2.  It can
also be used in other environements.

DISK 1

This disk MUST be formatted with the same release of DOS as you are going to
be recovering.  From this disk, you should:
        1.   Boot
        2.   FDISK the harddrive (if necessary)
        3.   Format the harddrive (if necessary)
        4.   transfer the OS - SYS c: - this is why the DOS release must match

The disk is as follows:

 Directory of A:\

COMMAND  COM     47987   5-09-91 12:00p
KEDIT        <DIR>       8-29-94 12:04p
FDISK    COM     28374   6-29-93 12:00p
X        BAT        53   8-29-94 12:05p
FORMAT   COM     23362   6-29-93 12:00p
DOSKEY   COM      5884   5-09-91 12:00p
PROTMAN  DOS     10657   1-04-94  8:00a
CHKDSK   COM     16184   5-09-91 12:00p
IBMTOK   DOS     15388   8-17-94  1:43p
DOSTCP   SYS     12965   1-04-94  8:00a
TCPDOS       <DIR>       8-29-94 12:12p
NETBIND  COM     15639   1-04-94  8:00a
CONFIG   SYS       252   8-29-94 12:21p
MORE     COM      2607   5-09-91 12:00p
LABEL    COM      9390   5-09-91 12:00p
AUTOEXEC BAT       205   1-09-95  2:52p
       16 file(s)     188947 bytes used
                      993792 bytes free

The Kedit subdirectory contains the Kedit editor; X.bat starts it off.   You
can pick the editor of your choice here.

The Config.sys file looks as follows:

FILES=40
BUFFERS=10
DEVICE = A:\PROTMAN.DOS /I:A:\TCPDOS\ETC
DEVICE = A:\DOSTCP.SYS
DEVICE = A:\IBMTOK.DOS

Note - you could add EMM386 and HIMEM, and improve utilization of the 640K,
but it wasn't of any great value here.

The Autoexec.bat file looks like this:

NETBIND
SET ETC=A:\TCPDOS\ETC
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $T-$p$g
path=a:\TCPDOS\BIN;a:\adsm;a:\
doskey

DISK2

Once you have completed the preparation work for the harddrive, insert the
second disk.  From it, you can load TCP/IP, and then execute ADSM.
This disk is not bootable, but I did include command.com, to avoid those
annoying messages at the end of every command.  I made a slight modification
to the TCPSTART bat file - on the line that starts IFCONFIG, I replaced the
address of my workstation with %1, and then supply the correct address when I
issue the command  -  TCPSTART 1.2.3.4   - This eliminates having to edit this
file everytime I use it. Other than that, the rest is as I took it from the
initial installation of TCP/IP for DOS, which was vanila - no LAN connections
etc.

Disk 2 looks like this:

 Directory of A:\

COMMAND  COM     47987   5-09-91 12:00p
TCPDOS       <DIR>       8-29-94 12:33p
ADSM         <DIR>       8-29-94 12:38p
TCPSTART BAT      2384   1-09-95  2:47p
ADSM     BAT        39   8-29-94  1:21p
        5 file(s)      50410 bytes used
                       38400 bytes free

The TCPDOS subdirectory:

 Directory of A:\TCPDOS

.            <DIR>       8-29-94 12:33p
..           <DIR>       8-29-94 12:33p
BIN          <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
ETC          <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
        4 file(s)          0 bytes used
                       38400 bytes free

The TCPDOS/BIN Subdirectory

 Directory of A:\TCPDOS\BIN

.            <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
..           <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
INETCHK  EXE     10735   1-04-94  8:00a
ARP      EXE     52085   1-04-94  8:00a
ROUTE    EXE     84101   1-04-94  8:00a
INET     EXE    301711   1-04-94  8:00a
INET     SYM     11525   1-04-94  8:00a
TCP850   FON    111616   1-04-94  8:00a
INETSYM  EXE     28599   1-04-94  8:00a
IFCONFIG EXE     62057   1-04-94  8:00a
TCPHELP  BAT       277   1-04-94  8:00a
TCPCNTL  EXE     34564   1-04-94  8:00a
TCPCHECK BAT      7395   8-17-94  1:43p
       13 file(s)     704665 bytes used
                       38400 bytes free

The TCPDOS/ETC directory:

 Directory of A:\TCPDOS\ETC

.            <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
..           <DIR>       8-29-94 12:34p
PROTOCOL          1198   1-04-94  8:00a
SERVICES          6257   1-04-94  8:00a
TCPDOS   INI      6636   8-17-94  1:44p
RESOLV              51   8-17-94  1:43p
PROTOCOL INI       164   8-17-94  1:44p
MAPS         <DIR>       8-29-94 12:37p
XLATE        <DIR>       8-29-94 12:37p
        9 file(s)      14306 bytes used
                       38400 bytes free

The TCPDOS and Protocol.ini files were not modified after installation.  The
"Custom" program supplied with the TCP/IP was used to tailor the installation
to the Network card being used - Token Rong, Ethernet, Madge, etc.

Finally, the ADSM subdirectoy:

 Directory of A:\ADSM

.            <DIR>       8-29-94 12:38p
..           <DIR>       8-29-94 12:38p
DSMIBM   EXE    444593   5-02-94  2:19p
DSCAMENG TXT    189056   5-02-94  1:45p
OPT                  0   3-22-95 10:07a
DSMERROR LOG      3580   3-22-95 10:33a
DSM      OPT      3218   3-22-95 10:40a
        7 file(s)     640447 bytes used
                       38400 bytes free

The ADSM BAT file in the root just issues the DSMIBM command, after making
sure the subdirectory is set.  The DSM.OPT file is straight from the box, too.
The only thing that you need to be aware from the TCP/IP end is that this
configuration does not support Domain Name Services (DNS), and so you must use
the real ddress for the ADSM server, and not a DSN Name.

WHen you start ADSM, you will get a red warning box, indicating that there is
no help file - this is OK - I couldn't fit the 500K file on the disk.  Hit
enter, and ADSM will continue.

 When the DOS version of ADSM is running, you must be careful of the 640K limit

I was able to restore a 40M machine on a single pass, but all others
required a series of passes, depending on how many directory entries you have.
You need to restore a base part of the Windows structure.  That includes:

        DOS
        ADSM
        Windows
        Windows\system
        Your communications software (TCP/IP, or whatever)
        Any other Necessary files, such as keyboard extensions, etc.

Once these are in place, the machine is bootable, and Windows should start.
You will most likely get warning messages about missing pieces - these are OK,
as long as the boot continues.  Once you get to the Windows Program Manager,
start ADSM from Windows, and restore by Subdirectory Tree, specifying Include
Subdirectories, but DO NOT replace files.  If you have multiple drives to
restore, repeat as required.

When you are finished, I suggest a power off, rather than letting Windows a
chance to rewrite some of his files.  The subsequent power on should be a
normal boot.

The above requires a series of passes, which can be a pain.  I will be sending
out a similar note in a day or so to handle OS/2 workstations that can also be
used to do Windows - and it allows for a single pass, rather than multiple
passes.

If you have any questions, or I left something out, send me a note.....

Jerry Lawson