ADSM-L

Re: Procedure for Full Windows Client Recovery

1995-05-11 17:21:40
Subject: Re: Procedure for Full Windows Client Recovery
From: Chris Krusch <Chris.Krusch AT UBC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:21:40 -0800
At 12:48 PM 5/11/95 -0700, Abi Admassu wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am upgrading the hard disk drive on my 486 PC.  I am doing this by taking
>the old drive out and put in the new and larger drive. I have backed up
>everything on the old drive using ADSM Windows client v1r2m7. Now I would
>like to do a full restore to my new drive using ADSM.   The procedure to do
>this the way I understand it is:
>
>1.  Load DOS
>2.  Load Windows
>3.  Load PCTCP On-Net
>4.  Load ADSM Windows Client
>5.  Make sure the name of my hard drive matches the old one
>6.  Restore by Tree (restore directories dos, windows, pctcp to dos2,
>windows2, pctcp2,                because I need my old *.ini and other setup
>files in these directories)
>7.   Restore by Tree  (all other directories)
>
>This seems a rather long way to do it.  Does any one know of a better way,
>especially does
>any one know how to create a bootable diskette to be used for restoring the
>old system to the new system using ADSM during a pc hard drive failure?  Any
>input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
>Abi
>abi.admassu AT ucop DOT edu

We had to do the same thing for a windows users. We ensured the user had a
current backup from the windows client.
We then managed to build a bootable high density diskette with a stripped
down Dos on it, FTP softwares PC/TCP stack installed, and the ADSM DOS
client. We booted the diskette, and restored the users data to the new
drive with the DOS client. We ran into memory problems with the DOS client
that prevented us from restoring the whole drive in one operation, but did
restore the drive in it's entirety by doing it in smaller pieces. Not sure
why we had the memory problems - was only about a 100mb drive. The PC used
for the restore had plenty of memory (24mb). We never followed up with IBM
on the memory problems. Would have been much quicker and convenient if the
whole drive could be restored in one operation. Ideal disaster recovery for
windows 3.0 clients.

Even with the problems, you could use it to quickly restore your dos,
windows, tcp and adsm environment, then complete the restore with the
windows client.

Chris Krusch                             Email: Chris.Krusch AT ubc DOT ca
University Computing Services            Phone: (604)822-4215