ADSM-L

Re: accounting, user exits, etc

1995-05-11 14:20:38
Subject: Re: accounting, user exits, etc
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 14:20:38 EDT
On Thu, 11 May 1995 10:20:12 PDT Joseph A. Faracchio said:
>We are running ADSM on VM.  Its nice that it cuts accounting cards with
>use information on them.
>
>But we need more.   We need to be able to assign sub-account codes so that
>we can use our charge-back system.   We need more than the nodeid name
>included in the account card for identification.
>Right now ADSM sets the account code on the card to the one assigned to it.
>We need it to set that code to an account number that is set for each node.
>
>And so for now the CONTACT field is becoming an extension of the accounting
>for us, but that is going to be very klutzy, to say the least.
>
>I haven't missed anything have I?
> thanks ! .. joe.f.

We do a similar thing.  We keep accounting information in the CONTACT
field.  We then process the accounting records, and simply use the nodename
in the accounting records.  We then look at the CONTACT field for that node
to extract the rest of the account information.  We used the CONTACT field
because it was convenient, but that information could really be stored
anyplace.

I would caution against putting too much complexity into ADSM for accounting
because different installations will have very different needs.  One thing
that we would like to see is an API to get the contact field info out of
ADSM.  Right now, we use the dsmadmc command line interface, and parse the
output from QUERY NODE ... F=D, but that is pretty kludgy, because the
contact field is broken across several lines of output.

..Paul