ADSM-L

Re: Tape questions

1995-05-11 08:35:33
Subject: Re: Tape questions
From: Pieter Groen <Pieter.Groen AT UCI.KUN DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:35:33 +0100
On Fri, 05 May 1995 14:57:16 -0500 (CDT) Ron Ritchey said:
>Is it better to use ADSM's tape pool or scratch pools? We have VMTAPE
>and allow it to handle most of our tapes in scratch pools.

I don't know which is better, but I use VMTAPE witch 'scratch'
for nearly a year now and it works fine.

>It looks like we can get about 180Mb of decompressed data on a
>3480 cartridge. Is that correct?

That is the estimated capacity. In practice I have between 190 and 200MB.

>Can we archive one of our file servers to tape and take those tapes
>off site. Bring in a second set of tapes and archive to them the
>next week. Take them off site and bring back the first tapes for the
>next week?

If you mean to copy all ADSM server information to tape, the answer is
'yes': use EXPORT SERVER (but be prepared for a long processing time).
If you mean to take tapes off site which contain backup/archive data you
will have problems in case restore/retrieve for files on those tapes.
 At least the second set of tapes should have different volume
serial numbers, otherwise ADSM thinks they are 'full' (or partly filled).

>Can you setup a DASD storage pool so that you can archive to it and then
>migrate all the files to tape when the backup has completed?

Define a tape storage pool as NEXTSTGPOOL in the DASD storage pool.
Set the HIGHMIG value to 1 (because 0 doesn't work) and the LOWMIGH to 0.
As soon as the storage pool is filled with more than 1%, all the files
are migrated to tape.