ADSM-L

ADSM Server Compression Fixes

1995-05-11 08:14:42
Subject: ADSM Server Compression Fixes
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 07:14:42 EST
Has anyone had a chance to apply the server fixes for the compression problem
yet?

I have applied them to my test server, but have had difficulties so far.  (FYI
it's an MVS Server)  The scenario I followed is:

1.  Did a level 1 Audit compression.  Results were  25 candidates out of
48,255 files.  Some were marked as having had a level 2 analysis, since they
were still in the DASD pools.

2.  Did a level 2 Audit of selected nodes.  Some files were removed from
consideration, others were found to contain the problem, and so were
candidates for a new backup.

3.  Issued a Force Backup command for the node.  The initial response was "Do
you want to continue" - I replied "Y".

4.  Response was not what I had hoped for.  The first time I issued this
command, I lost connection with the server.  While it appeared to be a TCP/IP
command, we could not fix the problem until ADSM was restarted on the server.
review of the log shows no ADSM activity (migrations, purges, etc.) until the
server was restarted.   We reran the force backup, and this time got a series
of messages as follows:

ANR9999D IMCMPRS(6003): Bad ObjInfoLen: 15.
ANR9999D IMCMPRS(3429): Error 18 marking compressed object for forced backup.
ANR2032E FORCED BACKUP: Command failed - internal server error detected.

BTW, when the server died, none of these messages were in the log.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Jerry Lawson