ADSM-L

AIX Retrieve?

1995-05-10 10:48:17
Subject: AIX Retrieve?
From: WILLIAM R COUGHLIN <wcoughlin AT GPU DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 09:48:17 EST
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
I know this is working as designed, but WHY is it designed this
way?  For the AIX client, the restore and retrieve function differently
in the way they restore directory attributes/authorizations.
According to the README:  "When retrieving files from
subdirectories, the directory attributes and owner information is NOT
retrieved, unlike when files are restored".  This has caused us
severe HEADACHES for a major application running Oracle. (We do
"snapshots" via ARCHIVE but when doing RETRIEVES, the directory
attributes are not the same!) Special scripts were written to
address this "problem".
                                    Bill Coughlin
                                    GPU Service Corp.
                                    Reading, PA