ADSM-L

Re: DSMC Restore to a certain date

1995-05-05 13:57:34
Subject: Re: DSMC Restore to a certain date
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:57:34 EST
> >The best way to do this is with the GUI client.  Use Restore by Filespec,
> >and then sort the files by date.  Select the older files, and do the restore
> >Its usually easier than using the pick option on the command line.
> >If you need to use the command line (Netware) then you'll need to use
> >pick.  I expect there will be some relief soon...
>
> >Brett
>
> This solution is only partially OK - It's fine if a file shows as ACTIVE
> and you can see the creation date -- but if a file is INACTIVE, there is
> no way to tell when the file was deleted.

The problem is worse than that.  If a file has changed "often" since
the date in question, you may no longer have the required inactive
file version.

There are lots of ways to approach this problem.  I wish IBM would
discuss their proposed solution with us on this list (some more).  A
good solution must

 not cost a zillion dollars for each "point-in-time" in terms of data
   base space.

 be easy to restore.  The, probably tree/subdirectory restore, must be
   easily selected, verified as available and be restored with the
   original directory structure whereever the restorer wishes.

Helpful would be

 report amount of files/bytes to be restored and number of volume
   mounts at the server expected before restore proceeds.  But his
   might be nice on any restore.

 Store the file id in the DSMERROR.LOG file instead of just "file
   skipped by user" (reproduced by a test run where the offline mdeia
   mount request was satisfied with "skip").

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE