ADSM-L

Re: Netware DSM.OPT

1995-05-02 11:07:17
Subject: Re: Netware DSM.OPT
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 11:07:17 EDT
>     I have the following EXCLUDE in a Netware ADSM client's DSM.OPT file:
>     EXCLUDE                   sys:/system/*.qdr/.../*
>
>     However, it does not function as expected: to exclude any files within
>     any subdirectory with the .QDR extension under the SYS:/SYSTEM/
>     subdirectory. For example: file SYS:/SYSTEM/231010046.QDR/Q_0123.SYS
>     should be excluded, but is not being excluded; files
>     SYS:/SYSTEM/EXAMPLE.EXE and SYS:/SYSTEM/TEST/EXAMPLE.EXE should be
>     backed up and are backed up. Does anyone know why the statement does
>     not function as I expect? I do not get a syntax error, but does ADSM
>     not allow the use of partial wildcards in the directory portion of the
>     EXCLUDE statement?? I am puzzled. In case it matters, the DOMAIN
>     statement in the DSM.OPT file is as follows: DOMAIN SYS: BINDERY.
>     Also, the above exclude statement is the first one processed by ADSM -
>     that is it is the last one listed in the group of EXCLUDEs and
>     INCLUDEs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>     Eric Hince
>     hince AT moraine.cc.il DOT us

We had the same problem with excluding the files under the *.QDR
directories.  Apparently ADSM does not recognize wildcard characters
in the directory name even though it allows them.  We ended up
specifying each *.QDR directory separately and everything worked OK.
We still specify * for the filenames under each directory.

It's a pain to do this, especially when you have a server with 20+
print queues on it.  Could this be made a requirement/suggestion for
a future enhancement?
Jeffrey E. Renicker               e-mail: jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.        voice:  216.796.5615
1144 E. Market St.                fax:    216.796.2222
Akron, OH 44316-0001