ADSM-L

Re: (none)

1995-04-21 13:54:34
Subject: Re: (none)
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 17:54:34 GMT
In <1995Apr21.013058.18027 AT draper DOT com>, ramke AT vnet.ibm DOT com (Frank
Ramke) writes:
>WARNING: Long append
>

>I have just placed the Release 1 Version 2 Level 8 NetWare ADSM client
>on the FTP server, index.storsys.ibm.com, in the adsm/incoming directory.
>The file name is nov20396.3d1.
>
> (text ommitted)
>
>I would appreciate any feedback your time schedules allow
>before we release it. Thanks!
>
>I've included the read.me file below.
>
>Regards,
>Frank Ramke
>
> (text ommitted)
>
>Memory.
>
>    This package updates how DSMC.NLM allocates memory. The
>    memory for larger memory operations now will be allocated
>    from the large memory pool. This memory is returned to
>    the system for file caching. SLOWINCREMENTAL is still
>    advised for the incremental backups, but the memory
>    allocation was changed to use the large memory pool
>    for backup as well.

I have a comment about recommending SLOWINCREMENTAL(SI). I don't have
Novell servers but I have many Mac and PC clients and SI has a terrible
effect on server cpu consumption.  In one case a Mac with SI on took 20
minutes of server cpu, but with SI off it takes just 20 seconds!

When release 1 went GA, SI on was hard coded for Macs, Windows and DOS.
I submitted an apar and got the SI option put into the Mac and Windows
clients.  Thank God, or ADSM would be consuming my entire CPU now!

My point in writing this now is to ask if the ADSM client developers
are aware of what goes on in the server when SI is on.  Also I want to
ask your help.  SI is really a nice feature and I wish I could use it
without paying the server cpu penalty.  Could you find out from the
server developers why there is such high cpu with SI on?  My guess is
that the server doesn't remember where in the tree of directories it is,
so each call for the next directory makes the server start back at the
top of the filespace tree.  Could the server be fixed so that it
remembers where it is?  Then I could go back to using SI on my Mac
clients.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com