ADSM-L

NetWare TCP Level

1995-03-28 15:06:39
Subject: NetWare TCP Level
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:06:39 EST
I think the note you refer to was mine .... was there a problem with
transmission, or am I just not clear in my explanation?

At the risk of boring everyone with my prose, I'll try to be a little clearer
as follows:

The NetWare TCP/IP that comes with 3.11 (and also I believe 3.12) had some
early problems with losing connections.  These problems were addressed by
Novell; the current fix level is TCP187.EXE (which we are running) or
TCP188.EXE which came out late last fall.  We had a Netware server that was
running early 3.11 TCP/IP code and experienced the problem; we applied the
TCP187 maintenance, and also the other IBM suggested ADSM mintenance - LIBUP3
and STRTL3, and the problem went away.  All of this maintenance is available
through the Novell NetWire service on Compuserve, also via their Internet Web
server, although TCP187 seems to be missing.

If you are already at these levels, and you still have the problem, the first
thing I would look at is to be sure that you are specifying "SLOWINCREMENTAL
ON" in the DSM.OPT.  Turning this on causes ADSM to only map in memory the
current directory tree that he is working on, as opposed to the whole
directory structure.  On servers with lots of files and a huge directory tree,
this can be a lot of memory; Slowincremental minimizes this need..

The third suggestion had to do with the Memory settings for the NetWare server
itself.  I am not a NetWare LAN admin, and so am not up to date with all of
the ins and outs here (but I can find out if you need to), but as I understand
it, the short and long term memory pools expand dynamically; ADSM can use a
lot of memory from these pools.  To avoid problems, I have seen suggestions
that you set these as high as you think you can get away with, monitor them
while ADSM is running, and then set them lower accordingly.

Hope this clarifies and helps some.

Jerry Lawson