ADSM-L

Re: include/exclude specs

1995-03-23 02:47:36
Subject: Re: include/exclude specs
From: Werner Baur <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:47:36 +0100
> As far as I know there is no way to prevent dsm to run into an excluded
> subtree. You can only exclude files. No doubt, there are environments which
> require to exclude directories, too. In our case the missing feature
> causes the dsm schedule process to examine 400000 files although I can
> clearly state in advance that none of the files is a candidate for backup.
>
> I am waiting of the response to the PMR I have written for this problem.

>You can do this for remote file systems by only mounting the directory
>you want to back up.  However, I've tried to do it on local file
>systems and it doesn't work.

I should have mentioned that we are using AFS. In AFS in general every
user homedirectory is corresponding to a AFS volume and therefore to a
mountpoint. That kind of mountpoints is not recognized by ADSM, all AFS
files and directories are treated as local file system objects.
To unmount the volumes would prevent ADSM to run into the excluded trees
but there is no way to daily unmount 7000 volumes just for a backup.

Werner

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Werner.Baur AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8781
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460