ADSM-L

Compres. Stats

1995-03-17 07:27:20
Subject: Compres. Stats
From: WILLIAM R COUGHLIN <wcoughlin AT GPU DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 07:27:20 EST
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
To give you an idea of what a difference compression can make:
We have an Oracle application running on a RS/6000 C10. We have a
process in place to take an application "snapshot"
during a specified application down window. We archive
approx. 2GB of Oracle data nightly: after we turned COMPRESSION OFF
due to the bug, it took 66 minutes to complete the archive. After we
put the new code in, turned COMPRESSION ON, the archive took only
17 minutes!!
                                       Bill Coughlin
                                       wcoughlin AT gpu DOT com