ADSM-L

Collocation issues

1995-03-16 18:55:50
Subject: Collocation issues
From: Ben William Brumfield <benwbrum AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:55:50 -0600
Due to several complaints of unacceptable response time when restoring
hard drive contents after catastrophic failures, we are considering
enabling collocation on our VM ADSM server.  I'm looking for comments
from other sites that have switched from non-collocated storage to
collocated storage.

1) What kind of increase in tape mounts per nightly backup job are we
looking at?

2) We already have several hundred 3480 tapes worth of saved user data, many
of which are nearly half empty.  I understand from the documentation that
enabling collocation will essentially add at least an extra tape for each
node to our usage.  What are the best methods for avoiding a situation in
which we have a large set of nearly-empty tapes created after collocation
as well as our existing set?  Should I define a new storage group with
collocation enabled and then migrate all data from our current storage
group it it?

Thanks for you input.

--
Ben Brumfield  --  benwbrum AT rice DOT edu/@ricevm1.rice.edu