ADSM-L

Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement

1995-03-14 17:31:56
Subject: Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:31:56 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>default if one doesn't use a DOMAIN statement.  This is true for all
>clients other than the Mac.  As I understand it, the problem is
>simply that they can't tell the difference between a local hard disk
>and a CD-ROM.  (CD-ROM drives are not considered "all local", which
>I'm sure you will agree is a good thing.)

Its true, ALL-LOCAL is not supported on the Mac.  I have had trouble
implementing it correctly.  There are bits I can check to see if a
drive is ejectable (which covers CD-ROM and floppy) but some soft
partitioning software (in particular Norton Partition) mark their
partitions as ejectable.  Therefore those valid local volumes would
not get inlcuded in the domain.  There are other things to check, but
none of them really solve the problem.

I know this is a problem.  I'm willing to go with the consensus.  I can
either check if the volume is ejectable and live with the soft partition
exposure, or I can include everything in the domain, or do nothing.

Thoughts?

Brett