ADSM-L

VM Server concerns

1995-03-06 13:03:41
Subject: VM Server concerns
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 13:03:41 EST
Last week I attended SHARE out in LA and managed to get to several ADSM
sessions.  One was on server disaster recovery (a subject which holds a lot
of interest for me %-)) and one on future trends in the product.  Both
described some of the new things that will be available in the next version
of the product for ensuring the reliability of the server and its data.
The next version (according to the presentation) is due out in June, but
only for the MVS and AIX servers.  The speaker indicated that other platforms
will be done based on "market requirements".

This presentation left me with a lot of concerns about the future of the
ADSM server on the VM platform.  Its all too reminiscent of the two year
battle we had to fight to revive the TCP/IP product on VM.  Would someone
from IBM care to comment on this?  Are we ever likely to see the new
improvements in the VM server (or the others for that matter)?  What
is the future for the VM product?

Martha