ADSM-L

How big a machine do I need?

1995-02-23 10:57:29
Subject: How big a machine do I need?
From: Paul Goodwin <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 10:57:29 EST
A decision has been made to discontinue ADSM on our VM system, and look into
putting it up on an RS/6000 instead.  Now, I'm tasked with finding out how
large a system we need to do this.

We're looking at backups for 500 to 1000 systems nightly (incrementals) with
an average managed disk space of 500Mb per system.  My questions are:

How much CPU do we need?

How much network bandwidth will be needed on the RS/6K?  Ethernet?  FDDI?

How much disk space should we have on the server?

What kind of tape support is good for this?  Are Exabytes reliable and fast
enough?

I really appreciate any help y'all can give us...getting a machine that's too
small is the end of ADSM here, and asking for one that's too large is the
same.

Paul