ADSM-L

Re: Meeting Maker and Scheduler

1995-02-14 17:19:13
Subject: Re: Meeting Maker and Scheduler
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 17:19:13 EST
On Tue, 14 Feb 1995 16:13:28 -0500 Michael Kearney said:
>Folks,
>
>I have this vague recollection about a reported incompatibility between
>Meeting Maker and the ADSM scheduler on the Macintosh. Do I recall
>correctly, and can someone provide some detail, if so?
>
>Thanks. MK

Meeting Maker displays "pop-up messages".  Such messages will interrupt
whatever application is running in the foreground thread.  If this is the
ADSM Scheduler, then it gets interrupted until the message box is dismissed.
These pop-up messages can be caused by other applications than Meeting
Maker.  We have a mailsystem which displays pop-up messages when new mail
arrives, and this can cause the same problem.

Fortunately, there is a workaround.  Just make sure that the ADSM Scheduler
is running in the background.  This will prevent it from getting interrupted
when a pop-up message is displayed.  If you use the public-domain cron
utility to launch ADSM Scheduler, there is an option to launch it as a
background application.  Code was added to the Mac client around 1.2.0.3
(I think, perhaps earlier) that allows the scheduler to be launched as a
background application without ever using a foreground thread.  This works
satisfactorily for us, although we would still very much like to see the
ADSM Scheduler require MUCH less memory than it currently does.

..Paul