ADSM-L

Compression on NetWare Client

1995-02-07 18:07:18
Subject: Compression on NetWare Client
From: Christian Moser <Christian.Moser AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 18:07:18 EST
     Jon,

     we are experimenting with NetWare 3.12 Machines connected via TCP/IP
     and ADSM Compression. We are interested in fast RESTORE for Disaster
     Recovery and have made Tests with two NetWare Servers, each uses a
     486-66Mhz CPU:

     Memory:
     =======

     Often we lose many NetWare Cache Buffers during ADSM runs!

     Performance Numbers:
     ====================

     1) Machine A connected via TokenRing and 2 Routers to a 16 MB TR,
        which is connected via IBM 3172-1 to our MVS

        All data was compressed and it was originally approx. 500 MB.
        Restore took about 8 hours. The test was partially made during
        day-time, but there was only little workload on that particular
        machine.

     2) Machine B connected via Ethernet and 2 Routers to a 16 MB TR,
        which is connected via IBM 3172-1 to our MVS

        All data was compressed and it was originally approx. 753 MB.
        Restore took about 3:45 hours. The test was made after 6 pm.

     In the very moment we are trying without compression on Machine B. Our
     feeling is that the CPU in the NetWare Server was a major bottleneck
     during decompression.

     If you are interested in more detailed information or in our tests
     without compression, please let me know.
     yours
     Christian Moser,           Internet: christian.moser AT schering DOT de
     SCHERING AG, 13342 Berlin, Tel.: (030)4681356 Fax: (030)46916719

     DATE:      02/03/95
     SUBJECT:   Compression on Netware Client

     I have a customer concern about file compression on Netware ADSM
     clients........

     Does compression have any physical limitations. By compressing say a
     300MB file on a trimly configured server, could you:

     exhaust RAM memory
     run out a temporary disk space(does ADSM write the compressed file to
     temp space on disk prior to transmission?)

     Does anybody have any performance numbers on Netware Clients using
     TCP/IP, and passing through a mixed environment( our case, from
     10baseT Enet to FDDI to 16Mb token with Cisco router in between ), and
     doing compression.

     Would appreciate the info. I've already searched the archives and
     found little that is enlightening.

     |  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU

     |  Systems Programmer, DUCC                -or- @DUKE.BITNET         |
     |  314 North Building, Box 90133                                     |
     |  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
     |  Durham, NC  27708-0133                    fax     (919)660-7021   |
     |               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |