ADSM-L

Starting server activity (DUMP DB) via cron

1995-02-03 05:19:12
Subject: Starting server activity (DUMP DB) via cron
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 11:19:12 +0100
Hello,

we want to do a regular dump of the ADSM database. We achieved
this by having cron start the following shell script on an AIX
workstation:
   # determine VOLSER of output tape
   dsmadmc -id=adminid -pa=adminpw dump db dev=... c=y vol=$VOLSER

The problem is, that the password shows up in the process list and hence
is seen by users doing a "ps -ef" at the right time.

My next try was to pipe the information to dsmadmc:

   echo "adminid\nadminpw\ndump db dev=... c=y vol=$VOLSER \nquit" | dsmadmc

When invoked from within a session, this shell script works, but when
invoked from cron, it does not (ANS5624E Unknown system error.).

Any hints?

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488