ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and AFS

1995-01-19 17:01:27
Subject: Re: ADSM and AFS
From: Shyh-Wei Luan <luan AT ALMADEN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:01:27 -0800
Regarding your questions about backing up AFS:

"R. Alexander" <[email protected]> wrote:

> We at RPI use AFS for our campus file system.
> It is my understanding that ADSM will backup AFS volumes and
> acls.

Currently ADSM can back up AFS files together with their
acls.  Files are backed up and restored in ADSM's usual way,
i.e., by files as opposed to by AFS volumes.

I am writing a program that serves as an ADSM replacement to AFS "butc".
This program works as a backend to the AFS backup command,
and ships the AFS volume full/incremental dumps to an ADSM server.
We are testing this program in our (Almaden) production cell.

> What is unclear to me from reading ADSM docs is how a user is
> identified to ADSM...  The functional need is for joe user to
> connect to any(many) multi-user workstation and be able retrieve or store
> his files with ADSM... Is this possible and convenient.

Current ADSM users are not defined across machines.  One needs to
do backup and restore from the same machine, otherwise, authorization rules
need to be set up for cross-machine access.

I designed and implemented a prototype ADSM clent and server that
uses the Kerberos authentication in AFS to allow cross-machine principals.
I do not speak for the product division's planning in this direction, though.

> Does one run an AFS client on a system that runs the ADSM client.
> Can the ADSM client run on the ADSM server system..

I believe these are not a problem since I have been doing these.