ADSM-L

Re: Status update and question

1995-01-18 13:02:52
Subject: Re: Status update and question
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:02:52 EST
Martha said, in part...
> Here's my dilemma.  Once ADSM is back on its feet, we won't know what data
> has been lost due to the incompleteness of the database.  I suspect that
> just running new incrementals on each machine won't be adequate.

The server data base keeps track of files that have been backed up.
If your audit completes, the data base will know (some of) the files
backed up.  When the next incremental is run, the list of backed up
files will be communicated to the client and the difference between
that and the current client disk status will be processed.

Of course, if you have used archive, your dilema is worse.  With
portions of the data base lost, pointers to some archived files may
have been lost.  There may be a process to read tapes and rebuild
archive data base entries?

Speaking of tapes, you now have a bunch of tapes with a bunch of
unknown (to ADSM) data on them.  Are tape occupancy statistics
screwed up?  Will good data, if any, be migrated onto other tapes
someday, or must you manually MOVE DATA to recover tape space?

Best of luck, Martha,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE