ADSM-L

Running mksysb on adsm/6000 server with 8mm tape drives

1995-01-10 15:26:50
Subject: Running mksysb on adsm/6000 server with 8mm tape drives
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:26:50 EST
I have an ADSM/6000 server, which has a LAGO Datawheel with two 8500C 8mm
tape drives in it.  I am trying to determine how to run a mksysb backup
using one of these tape drives.

When I use the /dev/mt0 address (implying ADSM tape device drivers), mksysb
returns the following warning:

  mksysb: WARNING: /dev/mt0 does not appear to be a tape device and
                   will NOT have a bootable image.

Since I want to make a bootable image, this is no good.  So, I tried running
a mksysb using the /dev/rmt0 device.  However, when I do that, mksysb
returns the following error:

  0512-017 mksysb: Cannot write to the device /dev/rmt0.1.
                   Either write protected or in use.

The tape is not write protected, and the drive is not in use.  I also noted
that after the mksysb failed, the /dev/rmt0 device went from "Available"
status to "Defined" status.  I'm not sure what this means, and I don't know
how to get it back to "Available" status.  Also of note, the /dev/rmt0
device is defined as "Other SCSI Tape Drive".  I'm wondering if this is the
problem, and if it should be defined as "5.0GB 8mm Tape Drive".  I'm a bit
reluctant to delete and re-define it, since our server is in production and
I don't want to screw it up.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

..Paul Zarnowski