ADSM-L

MVS ADSM Server and HSM

1994-12-19 14:42:12
Subject: MVS ADSM Server and HSM
From: Bob Klein <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 14:42:12 EST
On November 25th I submitted a request to the adsm-l list
regarding the use of hsm to manage adsm disk storage pools on an
MVS ADSM server.  The reason for the request was so that we would
not need to have two series of tapes, one for hsm and one for
adsm.  I got a reply from IBM, which mentioned the new EXPIRE
INVENTORY command and the fact that automatic file expiration can
now be turned off.  The result of using this facility is that
storage volumes are not accessed except by an adsm client and,
therefore, hsm would eventually move the storage volumes to a
lower level in the storage hierarchy and eventually to tape.

We have found, however, that whenever ADSM is restarted (which
happens whenever the system it runs on is IPLd) all the storage
volumes are opened.  This obviously defeats the goal of letting
hsm manage the disk storage volumes.

I would be very interested to hear from other sites running the
ADSM server on an MVS platform and are using HSM whether they
share our interest in using HSM to manage ADSM storage volumes
rather than setting up a separate tape storage pool for ADSM.  In
the apparent absence, currently, of the ability to use HSM to
manage ADSM storage volumes, what has been the experience of MVS
shops in the use of tape storage volumes for ADSM (e.g. what sort
of operator load is there when inventory expiration is carried
out).  Thanks for any input.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607