ADSM-L

ADSM and 3490E D42 Tape Drive

1994-12-07 16:51:33
Subject: ADSM and 3490E D42 Tape Drive
From: "Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)" <HDIP9235 AT BCITVM.BCIT.BC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 13:51:33 PST
FROM:  Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)
       (604) 432-8452

We have an ADSM server running under VM. I am finding that when migrating to
tape cartridge we are only writing about 400 meg of data per cartridge before
the tape fills up. The tape drives we have are IBM 3490E D42 cartridge drives.
They have IDRC support, are 36 track bi-directional drives etc. I would expect
to see much more that 400 meg of data being written to a cartridge.

In ADSM, I have defined a DEVCLASS with FORMAT=DRIVE specified. I believe this
should use the highest format supported by the drive. I don't think it is!

We are currently running VM/ESA Rel 2.1 at Service Level 9403. Our ADSM server
is at level V1 R1 L0.0/1.0.

Has anybody else run into this? Any comments or suggestions would be most
appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Peter.

BC Institute of Technology
Computer Resources