ADSM-L

Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?

1994-12-05 14:09:19
Subject: Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT LSIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 11:09:19 PST
> > Export runs forever.  I estimate the elapsed time for 8.3m entries to
> > be in months.  Also it uses free database pages as a sort work area,
> Well, that's certainly *very* discouraging, but it accords exactly with

Not surprising, however disappointing.

> Another problem I am finding in setting up backup procedures is that ADSM
> is far more difficult to automate than I was expecting.  Given that we
> are using a VM server and have a CMS administrative client, I had been
> assuming that I could simply write some ADSM macros to run on CMS to
> do EXPORTs and such.  In fact, that isn't viable, because all of the
> commands I need run asynchronously and don't report their ending results
> to the administrative client.  Thus, I can't tell when an operation
> completes, whether it completed successfully, or which tapes it used.
> I can use VM's SCIF (secondary console interface) capability, but that
> adds a level of complexity to the project.
> This is all very disappointing.

The CMS admin client is very cumbersome and very difficult to automate.
I gave up on this.  On the other hand, the UNIX admin client is very
robust, friendly and easy to tailor.  It's a very simple matter to setup
everything from UNIX and run it from there, assuming that you have a
reliable UNIX system to do this from.  I would seriously consider doing
this (using UNIX instead of CMS) and to give up trying to make VM do
something that it's not designed to do.  I have very simple crontab
entries such as:

40 11 * * * /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsmadmc -id=admin -password=adminpw
-server=dsmserva update stg backuppool high=75
which at 11:40AM each day sets the disk repository high threshold to
which at 11:40AM each day sets the disk repository high threshold to
75% for migration.  I could not get this to work on VM.

As for writing macros, I would suggest taking a shot at UNIX.  As much as
I like VM, UNIX is better suited for this task.  Something Mother hasn't
told us....

| I-NET Corporation    \\ \\ \\ \\    \\       ||    //      //    //  |
| LSI Logic Contract    \\  \\\  \\    \\      ||   //      ////////   |
| Mailstop E-195         \\       \\    \\     ||  //      //    //    |
| 1501 McCarthy Blvd.     \\       \\ \\\\\\\\ || /////// //    //     |
| Milpitas  CA  95035            ___o                                  |
| internet:   msako AT lsil DOT com  (_)/ (_)    FAX:    (408) 433-8796       |
| personal:   msako AT netcom DOT com            Pager:  (408) 989-3365       |
| ibmmail:    USMILUN9 AT IBMMAIL                                      |
| DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are mine alone                        |