ADSM-L

How much recovery log space is enough?

1994-12-01 14:45:59
Subject: How much recovery log space is enough?
From: Jim Smith <spikes AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 11:45:59 PST
Following-up on Greg's note:

There have been several users who have reported an unprecedented amount of
recovery log usage.  It seems that there are certain times when the
usage 'spikes' when nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

We are currently trying to determine what is causing these 'spikes'.  We have
a couple of users who are automatically issuing Q LOG commands every 15 minutes
to determine when the 'spikes' are occuring and then trying to use the activity
log to determine what could be causing the usage.  We believe that there is
still some process that is not grouping transactions in a 'nice' manner and
is using more recovery log space then need be.

If you think that you are seeing these unexplainable 'spikes', please contact
us (the support center); we would love to get as much information as possible
and try to get at the bottom of this ...

Jim Smith / ADSM Technical Support / San Jose