ADSM-L

Re: Problems in Using ADSM for UNIX Backups and Restores

1994-11-29 11:53:48
Subject: Re: Problems in Using ADSM for UNIX Backups and Restores
From: ray harder <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 10:53:48 CST
On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 11:43:56 EST Paul Zarnowski said:
>On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:45:34 EST Melinda Varian said:
>>On Tue, 29 Nov 1994 at 10:50:08 +0100, Reinhard Mersch said:
>>
>>Here at Princeton, we have just completed a rather extensive test of
>>using ADSM to back up and restore SUNs.  We encountered four problems:
>>
>We recently used ADSM to restore a volume in the root volume group on an
>AIX system, and it was not straightforward.  I would like to see some
>documentation on a good way to do this.  I am particularly concerned with
>ODM-related files.

I have printed this thread and need to analyize it and understand it,
but let me tell you, I am CONCERNED.  We use MKSYSB (now SYSBACK) to
make restorable backups of our volumegroups -- once a week on more
active systems and once a month on the less active.  Nightly we do
ADSM incrementals.  We have had hardly any hardware or software problems
but have restored 2 systems using this technique:
     -- MKSYSB (now SYSBACK) to restore the hard disk areas to the
        state they were when backed up
     -- ADSM RESTORE to bring filesystems to "last-nites incremental"
        level.
Our hardware and software are primarily IBM and our systems implementation
is simplistic, and things seem to be ok.  Is this a good backup
policy, or do we need to rethink things.  The IBM ADSM group can feel
free to comment here, too.  The original posting was SUN related -- is
this also true for IBM hw and AIX sw?

Ray Harder