ADSM-L

Comments on MacOS client install

1994-11-23 14:24:15
Subject: Comments on MacOS client install
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:24:15 EST
We've just finished installing the MacOS ADSM client.  It would have
been OK for a first-time install, but it leaves something to be
desired for an upgrade ...

  The install doesn't recognise the current installation folder,
    but installs in a separate (unique name) folder.  This might be
    OK for those folks that know to copy all files to the current
    folder (and delete the install-folder), but I'd rather the
    install program (there is one now!) put the files where they
    belong.

  Installing to a separate folder has other pitfalls.  Even if the
    client operator is smart enough to copy the Preferences file to
    the new folder, the alias s/he probably used in the Startup
    Folder now points the wrong way.  Had the install been to the
    original/current ADSM folder, the Startup Folder alias would have
    been maintained.

In our office, we install a new level of ADSM once, then make a
couple of diskettes containing the ADSM objects (they won't quite
fit, uncompressed, on one) ... and install to other machines from
these.  A better install procedure would save time.

I'd like the README file (of all clients) to mention the existence of
the schedule and error logs.  For example, the client operator should
periodically look at the end of each log to make sure backups are
proceeding normally.  Perhaps the suggestion of looking at the logs
at upgrade time and erasing them if no problems are found would be
helpful (one of my clients was very grateful for the several megs of
hard disk space returned when we erased her Schedule Log!).

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE