ADSM-L

Re: Looking for Full backup or directory backup

1994-11-11 16:43:10
Subject: Re: Looking for Full backup or directory backup
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 21:43:10 GMT
In <1994Nov11.194347.21011 AT draper DOT com>, spikes AT vnet.ibm DOT com (Jim
Smith) writes:
>>>1)  You cannot select a full backup.  He is a firm believer in
>      re-saving all the data periodically.
>
>As Amy stated, there is a way using the copy groups to define an absolute
>backup.... but .. this is also a known requirement.  There are several users
>that would just like to select a 'FULL INCREMENTAL' pulldown or schedule
>a full incremental without going through policy changes.
>
>Jim Smith / ADSM Technical Support / San Jose

     I hope that the 'Known requirement' includes point-in-time
capability.  I suspect that people who want periodic full backups are
also expecting that they will be able to locate this full as a
kept-together entity in ADSM and easily restore to it.  That is not
the case today with ADSM.  If normal incrementals are done and/or
another full, the first full becomes very difficult to identify and
restore from.

    The desire for a full backup is perhaps a hold over from other
methods of backup which don't integrate the incremental backups in a
server.  People think they need frequent full backups because with
all other backup systems you would be crazy or stupid or both to take
one full and then infinite incrementals and expect a full restore to
work or even be possible.  One of the great things about ADSM is that
you can do that without being crazy or stupid ot both!

    However, the old backup paradigm made a virtue out of a necessity
the necessary periodic fulls created point in time restore
capability.  What ADSM needs is an option which says --

'after this incremental, tag all the file versions in the current
active set as "Point-in-time-d94315:16.30' comment(my system before
Warp)"'.  The server MUST avoid deleting any file versions in this set
until the point-in-time indicator is released.  This point-in-time
should also show up as a choice at restore time.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550