ADSM-L

Oracle/Sybase support

1994-11-03 12:54:31
Subject: Oracle/Sybase support
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 09:54:31 PST
Hi Joe....hope things are well with you....we should get together for
sushi again.  But enough socializing, you really want to know about
Oracle and Sybase support!

I have just written a white paper that summarizes the current and future
support.  I can drop one in the mail to you.  There is also a redbook
that covers this, GG24-4335, Using ADSM to Back Up Databases.

For Oracle today, you can do both online/offline backups with ADSM at the
tablespace level (it's trickier if your database is installed on raw
partitions).  Future support will be for the new Oracle Parallel
Backup/Restore Utility (also known as OBACKUP).  We will provide some glue
code between OBACKUPs api and ADSM's api to allow the output of OBACKUP to
be sent directly to ADSM storage.  The granularity of backup provided by
OBACKUP is database, tablespace, or data files that make up the tablespace.

For Sybase, you can use their native utilities, Dump Database and Dump
Transaction, for online and offline backups with ADSM....an intermediate
JFS file is created.  You can do offline backup directly with ADSM, and
no intermediate file is created.  Another alternative is to buy the DataTools
product, SQL-BackTrack, and their new support for ADSM called the ADSM
module.  Then you can use their back up product and send the output directly
to ADSM....SQL-BackTrack provides more granular backups than Sybase's Dump
database, along with other functional enhancements.  Future support for
Sybase includes having Sybase's native utilities (dump database, transaction)
interface to ADSM's api so that the output can be sent directly to ADSM,
without the creation of an intermediate file.

Give me a call if you need more information....
Cyndie Behrens
cbehrens AT vnet.ibm DOT com
408-256-6934