ADSM-L

Re: Further experience with the ADSM DOS Client

1994-11-02 08:06:51
Subject: Re: Further experience with the ADSM DOS Client
From: Lee Maschmeyer <lmaschm AT CMS.CC.WAYNE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 09:06:51 EDT
On Tue, 1 Nov 1994 14:01:59 EST, Melinda Varian wrote:

>We have been evaluating the ADSM DOS client.  We have succeeded in
>backing up and restoring one disk, but we haven't found the restore
>process to be very satisfactory.  The machine is an 8M PS/2 Model 80.
>The disk in question has 4100 files (occupying 40M on the server).
>
>We were unable to restore all of the files at once.  When we tried that,
>the number at the upper right-hand corner (which appears to be a measure
>of memory remaining) fell from 269K to 58K.  Then we got a message saying
>that the files were being sorted.  After about an hour (with no sign of
>any activity at all), the sort completed and 5 files were restored.  Then
>we got the failure ANS1721E.  That happened several times.
>
>We next tried doing the restore in pieces.  It took 15 minutes to sort
>2331 files, again with no sign of activity while that was going on.
>
>Ultimately, we were able to restore all of the files, and they compared
>correctly, so all was well, but we really don't think we can give this
>to end users, because of the long "dead" times.
>
>We don't understand why the sorts take so long, and it looks to us as
>though the ADSM client is not taking advantage of the extended memory
>on this machine.  How does this compare with what others are seeing?
>Do we have something misconfigured?
>
>Melinda Varian
>Princeton University

I was going to reply to Melinda directly, but I think some configuration
changes must have been made because the address in the To: field on my
mailer seems to be usable and I wanted to test it.

Melinda, it sounds like you're still using an ancient client, but I doubt
this is the case--at least not intentionally.  It is 1.2.0.3--right?

| Lee Maschmeyer         | lmaschm AT cms.cc.wayne DOT edu  |
| 103 Computing Center   | (313)577-0741             |
| Wayne State University | Fax: (313)577-1338        |
| Detroit, Mi 48202      | Home: (810)545-0170       |