ADSM-L

Further experience with the ADSM DOS Client

1994-11-01 14:01:59
Subject: Further experience with the ADSM DOS Client
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 14:01:59 EST
We have been evaluating the ADSM DOS client.  We have succeeded in
backing up and restoring one disk, but we haven't found the restore
process to be very satisfactory.  The machine is an 8M PS/2 Model 80.
The disk in question has 4100 files (occupying 40M on the server).

We were unable to restore all of the files at once.  When we tried that,
the number at the upper right-hand corner (which appears to be a measure
of memory remaining) fell from 269K to 58K.  Then we got a message saying
that the files were being sorted.  After about an hour (with no sign of
any activity at all), the sort completed and 5 files were restored.  Then
we got the failure ANS1721E.  That happened several times.

We next tried doing the restore in pieces.  It took 15 minutes to sort
2331 files, again with no sign of activity while that was going on.

Ultimately, we were able to restore all of the files, and they compared
correctly, so all was well, but we really don't think we can give this
to end users, because of the long "dead" times.

We don't understand why the sorts take so long, and it looks to us as
though the ADSM client is not taking advantage of the extended memory
on this machine.  How does this compare with what others are seeing?
Do we have something misconfigured?

Melinda Varian
Princeton University