ADSM-L

Re: restore of afs files

1994-10-25 16:37:21
Subject: Re: restore of afs files
From: Baerbel Himpfen <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 14:37:21 -0600
In message Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:01:42 PDT,
  MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>  writes:

>> We tried to restore a file /afs/uni-bonn.de/home/userid/xyz (defined
>>   virtualmountpoint is /afs/uni-bonn.de/home/userid) to its original
>>   location with the DSMC.AFS command.
>>   ADSM restores not only the specified file, but all subdirectories to
>>   /afs/uni-bonn.de/home/userid and also restores the old acls, which can
>>   changed since backup and should remain changed.
> Try specifying -SUBDIR=NO on your restore command line, or setting
> SUBDIR NO in your dsm.opt file.  This will prevent all those
> subdirectories from being restored, and should preserve your current
> acls.

Specifying -SUBDIR=NO on the restore command really prevented the
subdirectories and their acls from being restored.
But using the GUI restore only that file and no subdirectories are restored
even if -SUBDIR=YES. Why that difference?

> As far as whether new (current) acls and directory attributes should
> be preserved, or the old (backed-up) ones restored, I think the answer
 could vary by user and by situation.  We are considering some ways
> of letting you tell us which one you want (old or current directory)
> on the restore command, without adding yet another option, but we'd
> love some feedback on whether there is a need for this and how you
> would like to see it implemented.  Then we'll see if we can do it.

I think that the answer really varies by the situation and I think there
is a need to tell which one is wanted (maybe with a default to be set).

Regards,
Baerbel Himpfen
/* Baerbel Himpfen                                                  */
/* Regionales Hochschulrechenzentrum    E-Mail: HIMPFEN AT Uni-Bonn DOT De */
/* der Universit{t Bonn                 Phone : +49 228 73-3127     */
/* Wegelerstr. 6                        Fax   : +49 228 73-2743     */
/* 53115 Bonn, Germany                                              */