ADSM-L

Re: TAPEPROMPT Change?

1994-10-12 14:11:33
Subject: Re: TAPEPROMPT Change?
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 14:11:33 EDT
On Tue, 11 Oct 1994 18:27:13 -0500 david boyes said:
>> It would be nice for the retrieve/restore to honor TAPEPROMPT.  It
>> *might* even be good for the backup/archive to honor it, but for the
>> scheduler component to honor it by default is ridiculous.
>
>I'll second this one. The whole point behind the scheduler is to
>do unattended operations without human interventions. Prompting
>for tape mount waits is patently silly given that assumption --
>you will *always* want to wait because there isn't a human around
>to agree or disagree.
>
>Change this one back, folks. It's BAD (broken as designed).

If IBM is going to work in this area, I have some more sticks to throw on
the fire.

One of the members of our cms source management group was trying out
the archive-retreive functions. He had the following comment about
the line-mode client for HP, I assume that the line mode client for
any other platform would have the same design.

  "There are several catagories of errors that require a response from
   the user.( "something screwed up, abort, try again , skip?")
   This is ok in full screen but it appears to do the same thing if you
   have adsm running in a shell script.  ooooppsss. and there appears to
   be no option to override this 'feature' (eg. ANSWER.ALL.QUERIES=SKIP)"

So there appears to be several changes that could be made.

   1) Change the defaults to be different for actions running in the gui
      and sched modes. This might be difficult with the mac interface.

   2) Allow system wide options to be different for different command modes.
      Maybe even different commands. For example, If one is doing a backup,
      one might just want it to happen and not be bothered with the tapemount
      prompt. But if one is doing a gui restore/retreive from directories
      then one might want the option to wait or not. A site might not want
      explain how to set up and use different user option files to make this so
      Maybe IBM could use prefix strings for the options, when there is more
      then one mode. For example

                 TapeP=YES /* global */
         gui*res*Tapep=YES /* gui restore command only */
         sch*bck*Tapep=NO  /* scheduled backup only */

   3) Allow for command or config options to specify that this command is
      running unattended, Do not ask for a response.

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513