ADSM-L

Re: TAPEPROMPT Change?

1994-10-11 18:02:26
Subject: Re: TAPEPROMPT Change?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 17:02:26 EST
> > I just downloaded the latest AIX client and it appears as though
> > the default for tape prompting has changed?
>
> It hasn't really changed - it just never worked for the command line
> commands like the documentation said it would.  We used to incorrectly
> ignore the value for TAPEPROMPT on the command line, instead of using
> the default of Yes or whatever the user specified.
> That meant you always waited - you could never get us to prompt you.

Our critical backups have failed for the past week because of this,
so if it sounds like I'm grumpy, I apologise, ... I am grumpy because
of this!

It would be nice for the retrieve/restore to honor TAPEPROMPT.  It
*might* even be good for the backup/archive to honor it, but for the
scheduler component to honor it by default is ridiculous.  To change
this action in the service stream is even more ridiculous.

Doesn't a scheduled backup sound anything like "unattended", IBM?
Boy, this makes me angry!

Hoping I'm wrong and this letter will soon look ridiculous :-)

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE