ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Is it a bug?

1994-09-16 11:59:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Is it a bug?
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 09:59:00 -06
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ UGA - ** Remote User **; 09/16/94 09:00

>Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 1994 09:32:15 EDT
>Sender:       "Dist. Stor. Manager(ADSM) List"
> <ADSM-L%MARIST.BITNET AT uga.cc.uga DOT edu>
>From:         Martha McConaghy <URMM%MARIST.BITNET AT uga.cc.uga DOT edu>
>Subject:      Re: Is it a bug?
>To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
> <ADSM-L%MARIST.BITNET AT uga.cc.uga DOT edu>
>DOT COM>

Thanks, Bill and David for clarifying things.  I have tried what you
suggested and it works fine.  Perhaps this needs to be better documented
in the OS/2 User's Guide.  The examples for QUERY BACKUP do not show this and
the explanation for "filespec" does not mention it either.  If it wasn't
for this list, I'm not sure I would have figured it out.

Also, (in case any of the documentation people are listening) I've noticed
that multiple file spaces get created whenever the label on the workstation's
hard drive gets changed.  This makes perfect sense to me, as I'm sure the
label is stored as part of the filename in the database.  However, I have
a number of (annoying) users who like to repartition their drives regularly.
While doing this, they often change the labels and don't realize the affect
it has on ADSM.  The result is that they end up with 5 or 6 old filespaces
which they will never use and are taking up resources.  I have to go in and
delete them, or nag until they do it.

I would like to see this better explained in the User's Guide.

Martha

*** Comments from STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 09/16/94 09:53am:
I discussed the problem with relabled drives with IBM via IBMLINK
6 or 8 months ago.  I have the same problem, except I don't know
of anyway to tell if a user's multiple filespaces came from
relabling a drive, a new partition, or what.  The user
may have replaced a hard drive and want the old one around
for recovery.

I haven't really decided how to handle this.  Our users are spread
out and numerous enough so that processing by hand won't work.
I've considered just looking at the last incremental update
date for a filespace, and if it is old enough, just go ahead and
delete it.  Otherwise, it seems it will hang around forever.