ADSM-L

NetWare

1994-08-26 13:09:10
Subject: NetWare
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 10:09:10 PDT
Wayne,
The last PTF for the Novell NetWare client had a bug, that may
or may not be causing your problem. The NetWare client
is capable of backing up other file servers, ie. any NetWare server
that dsmc.nlm is not running on. To do this, the client must
make a connection to that remote server. When the "logon" is
issued, the remote server, for all practical purposes, becomes
the local system to dsmc.nlm. The problem with IP20145, the
last PTF for Novell, was that the server portion of the path
name was mistakenly dropped from an internal variable that
is key to ADSM's processing. For this reason, I would urge
you, and anyone else running with IP20145, to apply IP20198
which is now on the anonyomous ftp server, and should be
available shortly from Boulder and Compuserve.

In case IP20198 doesn't solve the problem, can you send the
dsmerror.log to me? This should show why the bindery was not
backed up.

Thanks,
Frank Ramke

Referenced append:
We currently have 4 Netware clients and are considering when/why/if we
should use ADSM to backup any or *many* more.  More expertise is
necessary at installation and even restore time than we'd like, but
we're coming to understand the requirements a little better.  Once set
up, though, ADSM just has to run reliably, or clearly give us an
indication of a problem.   Enough babbling ... sorry ...

We've recently "discovered" the administrator "Query FIlespace"
command.  Among other things, it shows the time of last backup.  Two of
my Netware ADSM clients show the BINDERY backed up as the last
filespace during each scheduled backup.  However, another two Netware
clients show everything except the BINDERY backed up.  The BINDERY
backup times are a number of days ago when (probably) an explicit
BINDERY backup was done.  The options file for these latter clients
have the following DOMAIN statements:

    DOMAIN all-local
    DOMAIN bindery

(Yea, the second explicit DOMAIN BINDERY is not required, but the
Netware administrator coded it that way ... and it *seems* like it
should be OK).

For what it's worth, the Netware clients that are "working" explicitly
specify each filespace.  For example,

    DOMAIN capslan\vol1: capslan/sys:
    DOMAIN capslan\bindery

Is something going wrong? If so, is it an ADSM bug?  How might I fix
it?

Thanks for any insights,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE