ADSM-L

Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11

1994-08-26 11:19:00
Subject: Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:19:00 -06
Hi;

I've been trying to get ADSM to work under Windows for Workgroups
with Microsoft's TCP/IP driver.

The TCP/IP was download from ftp.microsoft.com as file TCPIP32.EXE.
MS calls it "TCP/IP-32 FOR WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS 3.11".
There was a beta release floating around for awhile; this seems to
be a full production version.
I contacted MS and they said it was Winsock compliant.
All other Winsock clients seem to work, including NCSA Mosaic.
When I try ADSM, I get a hang when I try, well, almost anything.
I can connect to the server and get a list of drives, but then
if I try to do anything, like an incremental backup, ADSM hangs.

The setups I've tried:

Hardware:
Valuepoint 433DX/T
IBM Token-ring card

Software:
ADSM Windows Client 1.2.1
ADSM MVS Server
WfW
First try:  WfW IBM Token-Ring 4/16 NDIS support.
Second try: running ODI, and using the WfW Token-Ring ODI-NDIS support.

Both behaved the same way; other winsock clients work fine, ADSM
hangs.

I understand this is not an announced supported environment.  Plus,
we've only got a couple of people (trying to) use WfW and TCP/IP-32.
But I see it as being very popular here.  We've been using
Trumpet Winsock and continue to have lots of problem with ADSM,
and I was hoping this might provide a cheap (free) alternative
for users with WfW.  I think this is the TCP/IP
support (or close) which MS will be ship with
Windows 4, so I see great demand on the horizon.

Anyone got this same environment working, either token-ring or
ethernet?