ADSM-L

Reducing DB size

1994-07-20 09:48:13
Subject: Reducing DB size
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY S." <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 13:48:13 GMT
We're running ADSM on MVS - the database is currently 1.5 GB mirrored (5 300
MB partitions/volumes - mirrored).  The database is about 57% utilized...
I'd like to reduce it
to 1.2 GB (4 300MB partitions) but when I issue a Q DB

Available Assigned   Maximum   Maximum    Page        Total        Used
  %Util    Max.
    Space  Capacity     Extension   Reduction    Size        Usable
     Pages             %Util
     (MB)     (MB)           (MB)          (MB)       (bytes)     Pages
 ---------   --------        ---------      ----------     -------
  ---------     ---------    -----  -----
    1,500    1,500                 0             100         4,096   384,000
    220,675  57.5  57.8

It says the max reduction is only 100 MB.  57.8% utilization would indicate
about 867 MB of the database is used.  Am I missing something..... shouldn't
the maximum reduction be higher?  Has
anybody run across this?

p.s. Reason for the overallocation of the DB is we were inadvertently
backing up the NEWS directory on our News server - this can fill up the ADSM
DB in a hurry!

Thanks
Tim Pittson