ADSM-L

Migrating ADSM VM to RS/6000 Shortcut (?)

1994-07-19 16:55:11
Subject: Migrating ADSM VM to RS/6000 Shortcut (?)
From: "Michael W. Kearney" <MICHAEL AT PENNDRLS.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 15:55:11 EST
We're gearing up to move our ADSM service from VM to AIX. I don't relish the
thought of doing a complete server export/import cycle to do it however, as it
 would,
if I understand this correctly, require reading and writing a large number of
tape volumes to get the client data out of the VM server and then back into
the AIX one.

Rather than do this, would it be possible to use the DBDUMP/DBLOAD utilities
to do the same thing? I envision a procedure similar to what we used to go
from WDSF to ADSM under VM:

1). On VM, delete all disk storage pools, forcing ALL user data to tape.

This way you don't have to worry about doing any conversion of DISK data
repositories, which is not likely to be portable (or doable) anyway.

2). Do the database dump to a set of 3490 cartridges.

3). Do the database load from the same cartridge set, but now on 3490
tape drives attached to the RS/6000. Database pointers point to tapes already
in existence and don't need to be reread/rewritten (presumably this is the
sticky part). Make the old tape data repositories read-only.

4).Define some new disk and read-write tape repositories on the AIX server.
Voila, conversion complete. Old tapes will slowly become available for reuse
as the files on them expire, or you can use move data on a production server
to empty them. Elapsed downtime has got to be lower than the export/import
cycle.

Does this have a prayer of working?

Thanks in advance.

Michael