ADSM-L

Re: Mac ADSM and Mac Word Perfect?

1994-07-13 15:06:22
Subject: Re: Mac ADSM and Mac Word Perfect?
From: Nick Laflamme <NLAFLAMM AT VMA.CC.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 14:06:22 EST
On Wed, 13 Jul 1994 11:37:24 PDT Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax: said:
>>One of my users of ADSM is having problems running Word Perfect for the Mac
>>when ADSM is or maybe just has been active.  She's having trouble nailing
>>down exactly under what conditions she gets failures, but there seems to be
>>a high correlation with ADSM use.
>>
>>Is anyone out there running ADSM and Word Perfect on the same Mac?  If so,
>>successfully, or only after jumping through hoops?
>
>Well, I don't have Word Perfect for the Mac.  I wouldn't think there would
>be any incompatabilities between ADSM and WordPerfect.  Could it be
>your user is running a time consuming task with WordPerfect (such as
>spell checking a large document on a slow machine)?

Boy, that was a woefully inadequate problem report on my part, wasn't it?

The symptom is WP crashing on initialization in some instances.  ADSM
doesn't have to be doing anything with the server, merely running (or
having run earlier, perhaps).  Use of an AppleShare file server seems to be
relevant as well, although we're not using ADSM to backup the file server.

Right now, the evidence is all circumstantial, but there's a disturbingly
strong correlation between ADSM and WP not initializing.  I'm trying to get
a feel whether others are in a position to confirm or refute fears that
there's a bad interaction between ADSM and WP for the Mac.

Next step is to involve the Mac consultants; there's some fear of finger
pointing at that foreign mainframe stuff (ADSM), so I'm trying to line up
as much data as possible before that point.

>If WordPerfect doesn't give up the CPU during this time, then ADSM can
>starve, and the TCP/IP connection can time out.  If this were the case,
>you could increase the COMMTIMEOUT value on the ADSM server - I believe
>the default is 60 secs.

Alas, ADSM isn't noticing the problem.  It's somewhere between innocent
bystander and inadvertant catalyst, probably.

>Brett Walker

Thanks,
Nick

* Intelligence demands reasons, not rules.