ADSM-L

NetWare restores

1994-06-30 15:42:24
Subject: NetWare restores
From: Jim Smith <spikes AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 12:42:24 PDT
Tim,

I want to clarify/correct one of the points you made:

> 5) If you're restoring the bindery, I remember reading somewhere that this
> should be done after the files/directories are restored (because it won't
> restore information for files/directories that aren't already  there ????)

The BINDERY should be restored FIRST, BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

If you are trying to restore a directory or file which happens to have
trustee rights assigned to user TIM, but user TIM doesn't exist, these
rights will not be restored.  This is why you need to get the bindery
first, so all of the users are defined for trustee restores.

Another 'gotcha' is, back to user TIM, this user must be restored from
the BINDERY and not created through SYSCON.  If you backup a system
and give trustee rights to user TIM, NetWare assigns TIM to an internal
userid (like a UID); to get TIM and the correct UID back, you have to restore
the userid from the bindery.  If you decide to create a new user TIM,
it will be assigned a different UID and you will never be able to restore
trustee data associated with the old TIM.

So, lesson here, restore the BINDERY first!

Jim Smith
ADSM Technical Support