ADSM-L

Novell file restoration

1994-06-17 11:27:37
Subject: Novell file restoration
From: Nick Laflamme <NLAFLAMM AT VMA.CC.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 10:27:37 EST
One of our Novell administrators is trying to recover some files from ADSM
for a deleted subdirectory.  She thinks the files existed recently enough
that they should still be on the server (we retain the last copy of an
inactive file for 60 days), but RESTORE with the pick option isn't showing
these files, and QUERY BACKUP doesn't show them, either.  (I'm using the
-INACTIVE option on both commands and seeing other Inactive files
indicated.)
indicated.)

Before I tell her she's out of luck, are there known problems with either
the Novell client (we just downloaded the V1R2 version, so we're fairly
current) or the VM server that would be relevant here?  She claims that
she's been able to restore files by name if she knew what to ask for, even
though the files weren't listed.  (This has been going on long enough that
possibly the files have expired since this all started.  :-( )

Meanwhile, I'm going to make a new policy class with a very long retention
period for the last inactive copy of a file for that server and maybe some
others....

Thanks,
Nick

* Intelligence demands reasons, not rules.