ADSM-L

Re: Does the SunOS client work on an Auspex?

1994-04-22 17:46:10
Subject: Re: Does the SunOS client work on an Auspex?
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 17:46:10 EDT
On Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:42:34 EDT Melinda Varian said:
>Has anybody tried running the SunOS client on an Auspex?  If so,
>did it work?
>
>Also, the "Transfer rate" displayed by the SunOS client does not seem
>to accord with reality.  Indeed, it seems to be off by an order of
>magnitude.  Monitoring the transfer with "netstat" or just dividing
>the bytes transferred by the elapsed time both result in much smaller
>numbers (whether compression is on or off).  Has anybody else seen this?
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

I had heard that the transfer rate reported by adsm is the rate that the
client software passes off the data to the communication buffers.
In general the numbers given by adsm could use a little more in the
way of documentation. I hate to think how big the next release of the
adsm doc set might be.

I did a test inc backup from an OS/2 machine after installing ptf IC20124.
It reported:

   transfer rate      750KB/sec
   data transfered 11,126KB
   elapsed time      1:23

If I did my math correctly this is an elapsed time transfer rate of
134.05KB/sec. I believe that some of this time is used to send the
file reference data from the server. And more time has to be spend
checking the files on the client to see if they should be send on to
the server.

But I have not heard if this includes all the data and control information
passed. For the data part, if it is before or after data compression.

Another wrinkle in the stat reporting would be the case where adsm starts
sending a file in compressed mode. Then finds that the file is growing
Then discards what has been send and resends the file in an uncompressed
state.

Another interesting question is when adsm is on a system that has a flag
to indicate that the file is already compressed, does adsm use that flag
or just try to see if it can compress it?