ADSM-L

Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server

1994-04-19 19:21:42
Subject: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server
From: "Michael W. Kearney" <MICHAEL AT PENNDRLS.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:21:42 EST
We have discovered a feature of the ADSM Netware client which may be
of interest to the group: if you are restore a Netware file which
is being served to a Macintosh and choose to restore it to a location
other than its original location, the file name, as it appears to the
Macintosh user, is NOT preserved. The Netware name is used. A
(hypothetical) example:

The original file is an executable name 'Microsoft Word' in 'Applications'
folder. It's Netware name is some DOS-like thing (I don't know the
exact mapping algorithm) like: MC~RSFT.WRD. If you restore the file
to the Netware directory which maps to the
'Word Processor' folder, it appears to the Mac user to have
the name MC~RSFT.WRD. This is clearly a big usability issue as it
doesn't take much imagination to come up with scenarios where one would
like to restore a file to a location other than the originating one,
AND have its file name preserved.

This presumably isn't a problem when Netware is serving files to
DOS machines, as the 8.3 file naming conventions are the same. IBM has
opened (and closed) an APAR on this, because apparently the Macintosh
file namespace information is NOT currently backed up by the Netware
client and it will take a major functional enhancement to be able to do
it. The APAR number is IC06774.

IBM has agreed to watch this forum for reactions to this posting
and pass them on to the development team. I'd appreciate your comments
as to the relevance/difficulty this feature poses for your organizations.
It's probably going to cost us some Netware customers here.

Thanks. Michael Kearney