ADSM-L

Re: Two Admin questions

1994-04-18 20:07:30
Subject: Re: Two Admin questions
From: Brent Stilley <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 18:07:30 CST
On Mon, 18 Apr 1994 11:27:22 EST Nick Laflamme said:
>On Mon, 18 Apr 1994 08:18:28 PDT Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax: said:
>>
>>Would a command-line (ugh) be useful?
>
>Not nearly as useful as a GUI admin client would be.  :-) ("using Mac
>facilities" doesn't conjure up command line interfaces!  :-) )

Well, depending on how you look at it, AppleScript and/or Frontier are
"command lines". Very powerful environments actually. Considering the three
scriptable (LAN) environments I'm aware of:

1. OS/2 admin (and user) client would be scriptable via REXX

2. MAC admin (and user) client would be scriptable by AppleScript or Frontier

3. Windows admin (and user) client would be scriptable via OLE/VBA

Obviously, invoking functions/facilities via these "command line" interfaces
might pop up GUI controls in some cases, so you might be able to get the best
of both worlds. But we'd probably need a way to force a script to run entirely
non-interactive, too.

Brent Stilley,  Oklahoma State University, 113 Math Sciences, Stillwater, 74078