ADSM-L

WDSF Mac/DOS client and ADSM Server Incompatibility

1994-04-15 17:19:07
Subject: WDSF Mac/DOS client and ADSM Server Incompatibility
From: "Michael W. Kearney" <MICHAEL AT PENNDRLS.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 16:19:07 EST
We recently made the WDSF --> ADSM move. Our plan has been to keep the client
 side
on WDSF while we worked out the wrinkles in the ADSM server, then implement
a controlled migration of the client systems to ADSM. Well, to make a long
story shorter, we have found that the WDSF/ADSM upward compatibility is pretty
 good,
but not perfect. In particular, we have found that both the DOS and Mac WDSF
clients fail under certain circumstances with the error message 'No data on
Server'. The problem arises from a bug in the ADSM server code, and IBM has
opened APAR PN55600 to address the problem.

The error occurs after the ADSM server issues an incorrect
response to a client attempt to abort a  backup transaction. The two
 circumstances
where we have see it are:

1). On AppleShare file servers when the file to be backed up is locked.
2). On Mac and DOS if a file expands when compressed.

The 'No Data on Server' not really true, but tends to get users nervous.
This error does prevent the completion of incremental backups beyond
the offending file, however.

This happens only with the WDSF clients and not ADSM. Thought you would like
to know.

Regards to all, MK